Netflix has become a household name in Canada, renowned for its extensive library featuring thousands of award-winning movies and TV shows. When the streaming service was initially launched in Canada back in 2010, it was one of the most affordable options available in the country.
Over the years, Netflix has maintained consistent pricing with only minimal price increases. However, they have recently restructured their plans to offer various options, catering to the diverse needs of their users. These changes have left many Canadians wondering about the current cost of Netflix in Canada.
In this blog post, we will discuss the different Netflix plans in Canada and their pricing and address any other questions you might have regarding this popular streaming service. Whether you’re a long-time subscriber or considering joining, we’ve got you covered with all the essential information.
How Much Is Netflix in Canada?
Netflix offers four distinct plans for its users. Each plan comes with distinct features, such as the number of devices that can stream Netflix content simultaneously and the quality of streaming (HD, 4K), which are further detailed in the table below.
Number of simultaneous screens
Basic with ads
Basic without ads
1. Netflix Basic with ads: $5.99/month
Introduced in late 2022, this subscription tier provides access to HD streaming on a single screen at a monthly fee of $5.99. Netflix has indicated that subscribers on this plan will encounter approximately four minutes of advertisements for every hour of streaming. It’s worth noting that due to licensing constraints, specific movies and TV shows are excluded from this plan, and the option to download content to your device is not available.
2. Netflix Basic (no ads): $9.99/month
The Basic without ads gives you access to HD streaming on two screens. The best part is that this plan doesn’t have ads so you can watch your favourite shows and movies without interruptions at $9.99 monthly.
3. Netflix Standard: $16.49/month
The Standard Plan allows concurrent streaming on two screens. Subscribers to this plan can enjoy full HD streaming and the added convenience of downloading their preferred movies and TV shows to their devices.
4. Netflix Premium: $20.99/month
The Premium Plan is available at a monthly cost of $20.99. This is the highest-tier plan, enabling simultaneous streaming on up to four screens, all in stunning 4K Ultra HD quality. With this plan, you can download movies and TV shows to as many as four devices, ensuring you have access to hours of offline entertainment.
Is Netflix Worth It?
Whether Netflix is worth it or not depends on your personal preferences and viewing habits. It’s important to evaluate your entertainment priorities and compare them to what Netflix provides to make an informed decision.
Netflix offers a vast library of movies, TV shows, documentaries, and original content. If you find a lot of content that you enjoy and regularly watch, it can be worth it. Netflix is also known for its high-quality original series and movies. If you’re a fan of their exclusive content, the subscription may be worthwhile.
Ultimately, the decision comes down to your entertainment needs and how well Netflix meets them. Many people find Netflix to be a valuable and convenient streaming service, but it may not be the best choice for everyone.
Benefits of Netflix Canada
In Canada, Netflix offers an array of advantages, from its ease of use to its vast library of ad-free content, exclusive originals, and personalized features. Let’s look at some of the pros of Netflix Canada:
- User-Friendly Setup: Netflix’s user-friendly interface allows you to set up your account within minutes, and you can start enjoying your favourite movies and shows without delay.
- Ad-Free Experience: One of Netflix’s most appreciated features is its commercial-free content. Unlike traditional TV, Netflix ensures an uninterrupted viewing experience by eliminating commercials during your movies and shows.
- Exclusive Original Content: Subscribing to Netflix in Canada provides access to a treasure trove of original content, including hit series like “Stranger Things” and “Squid Game.” Netflix creates these exclusive productions and offers a unique and captivating viewing experience.
- Diverse Membership Plans: Netflix understands that everyone’s entertainment needs and budgets differ. Therefore, they offer a range of membership plans, ensuring you can pick the one that aligns with your preferences and financial resources. Whether you’re a casual viewer or a dedicated binge-watcher, there’s a plan for you.
- Multi-Device Compatibility: Netflix is highly adaptable and can be accessed on many devices, making it extremely convenient for users. You can enjoy Netflix on your tablets, smartphones, Android boxes, smart TVs, and more. This flexibility ensures that you can watch your favourite content anytime and anywhere, whether you’re at home or on the go.
- Personalized Recommendations: Netflix employs a sophisticated recommendation algorithm that suggests movies and shows tailored to your viewing history and preferences. This feature helps you discover new content that you’re likely to enjoy, making your Netflix experience even more engaging.
- Offline Viewing: With Netflix, you can download select movies and episodes for offline viewing. This is especially handy for those times when you don’t have a reliable internet connection, such as during travel or when you’re in an area with limited access.
- Wide Range of Genres: Netflix boasts a vast library encompassing many genres, including drama, comedy, thriller, documentary, and more. With such a diverse selection, there’s something for everyone, regardless of your taste or mood.
- Family-Friendly Features: Netflix offers family profiles and parental control options, making it easy to manage what content is accessible to different family members. This is a valuable feature for households with diverse age groups and viewing preferences.
- Continuous Content Updates: Netflix consistently adds new content to its library, including fresh releases, classics, and critically acclaimed titles. This regular influx of content ensures that there’s always something new and exciting to watch.
Downsides of Netflix Canada
- Outdated Library: Unlike many other streaming services, Netflix is known for taking more time to incorporate the latest movies and TV shows into its library. This delay in offering fresh content can be a drawback for those seeking the most up-to-date releases.
- Content Uncertainty: Another potential concern for Netflix subscribers is the occasional removal of movies and TV shows that were previously available. This can be disheartening, particularly if you were planning to re-watch your favourite shows. The ever-shifting nature of the platform’s content can leave users uncertain about the long-term availability of their beloved titles.
- Geo-Locking: If you reside outside of the United States, you might find the selection of movies and TV shows on Netflix somewhat disappointing. The platform employs geo-locking, restricting content availability based on your location.
Alternatives to Netflix in Canada
If you’re not a fan of Netflix and are looking for alternative options, Canada offers various streaming platforms to cater to your entertainment needs. Whether you’re searching for diverse content libraries, exclusive shows, or budget-friendly choices, there are several alternatives worth exploring.
1. Disney Plus
Disney Plus made a huge impact shortly after its launch, quickly amassing many subscribers. It offers top-tier entertainment from leading Hollywood production companies, including content from Marvel Studios and the Star Wars franchise. For $11.99 per month or an annual subscription at $119.99 (equivalent to two months free with the yearly plan), subscribers gain access to over 1,600 movies and 28,000 episodes of various genres, including comedy, thrillers, drama, and more. The platform also releases new content weekly, allows streaming on four screens or devices simultaneously, and provides the convenience of downloading movies for offline viewing.
2. Prime Video
Prime Video is a strong Netflix alternative, offering a diverse range of high-quality movies, series, and TV shows, both original and licensed content. The service is available for $9.99 per month, or you can opt for an annual subscription at CAD$99.99.
3. Apple TV+
Apple TV+ is an ad-free subscription service known for its affordability. Unlike many other streaming platforms, Apple TV+ allows subscribers to watch two live Major League Baseball games on Friday nights.
Fees for Password Sharing
As of February 2023, Netflix implemented changes to regulate user password sharing in different locations. These changes are part of Netflix’s efforts to maintain a fair and sustainable streaming experience for all its subscribers.
Under the new policy, users with the Standard plan can add one extra user to their account for a monthly fee of $7.99. This means that if you and a family member or friend who resides in a different location want to share the same Netflix account, you can do so by paying the additional fee. It’s worth noting that an “additional user” is considered as anyone who is streaming from a different location.
For those on the Premium plan, you have the option to add up to two additional users, each at $7.99 per month. This flexibility allows you to share your account with multiple individuals as long as they are streaming from separate locations.
These changes are a response to the growing trend of password sharing among Netflix users, and they are aimed at ensuring that the service remains both accessible and sustainable.
Netflix Free Trial
Netflix no longer offers a free trial in Canada. In the past, Canadians had the opportunity to enjoy a 30-day trial period to explore the streaming service’s offerings. However, as of October 2020, Netflix discontinued this free trial option.
It’s important to note that while the free trial is no longer available, you still have the flexibility to cancel your Netflix account at any time without incurring any additional charges. This means that if you try out Netflix and decide it isn’t the right fit for your entertainment preferences, you can cancel your subscription at any point within the month without any financial commitment beyond the initial month’s subscription fee.
This change in their policy aims to give potential subscribers more control and flexibility when it comes to deciding if Netflix is the right streaming service for them. So, while the free trial is no longer an option, you can still explore the platform without a long-term commitment.
- What is the Digital News Subscription Tax Credit (2023)
- 10 Ways to Get Your Free Credit Score in Canada (2023)
- How to Get Your Free TransUnion Credit Score in 2023
- What is a Good Credit Score in Canada? (2023)
Final Thoughts on How Much is Netflix in Canada
Finding out how much Netflix costs in Canada is a crucial step before diving into your favourite shows and movies. It’s not just about affordability but also about ensuring you get the best value for your entertainment budget. Remember, Netflix offers various plans to cater to your specific needs, and your choice can make a significant difference.
Take a moment to explore the plans, consider your preferences, and make an informed decision on how to make the most of your Netflix subscription in Canada.
FAQs on How Much is Netflix in Canada
Does Netflix Have a Free Trial?
No, Netflix no longer has a 30-day free trial period. However, you can cancel your subscription whenever you want if you are no longer interested in the streaming services.
How Many Devices for Netflix in Canada?
You can enjoy Netflix Canada on up to three devices simultaneously, whether it’s your phone, computer, or television. However, exceeding this limit may result in buffering or signal interruptions. To ensure a seamless streaming experience, it’s advisable to stick to a maximum of three devices when using Netflix in Canada. This way, you can fully savour your favourite shows and movies without any hiccups.
What is the Difference Between Netflix Basic and Premium?
With the Premium plan, you gain access to HD streaming quality, and the flexibility to have up to four users streaming simultaneously. On the other hand, the Basic plan provides standard streaming quality without HD, and only allows a single user to stream at any given time.